Saturday, August 7, 2010

Week 9: Post 2

When I reflected on the pragmatic perspective of Chapter 2, I found a personal connection to the statement “[the pragmatic perspective] urges us to look carefully at patterns that emerge as people play the communication game” (Trenholm, 2008, p. 32). From the moment I began to argue (age 3 ;)) with my father, I learned more and more about our patterns of communication in argument and how to “win.” As a child, communication with my father was unequal because he was “the parent” and he often told me “what I say goes because I pay the bills!” As I aged, I learned how I could benefit from our interactions, arguing for compromise or “payoff” for both of us. Still, our relationship remained tense and strained. I honestly don’t think my father realized I’d be able to pick up on his patterns so well or would I learn how to “push his buttons” so well (for my gain). Our fighting became more about competition and I know, as I now have hindsight of those experiences, I barely remember what we were fighting about and the reasons we struggled to find peace in our relationship. As the pragmatic perspective suggests, my father and I reached a point where we recognized no one was benefiting from our arguments. As I matured through college, we found the means to “work out patterns of interaction [to] satisfy both of [us]” (Trenholm, 2008, p. 34). This allowed us to develop a mutual respect for the other and to practice civility when in disagreement.

1 comment:

  1. while reading your post I really enjoyed reading about how you were able to pick up on your father's argumentative patterns. It is a great benefit for you that you could see his patterns and ultimately get what you wanted.It can help in arguments if you want to keep pushing someone's buttons or if you want to defuse the entire situation one has the power to do so. What I hate is if someone knows my patter because I don't want anyone to push my buttons. I want to be in control in an argument for sure but usually when you know the person very well there is a good clash of claims.

    ReplyDelete