Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Week 10: Post 3

As I went back through my posts from the semester, I remembered how much I enjoyed learning about the Kinesic Code I: Body Movement and Gesture. Chapter 5 (Trenholm, 2008) discussed Nonverbal Communication, focusing on body movements and language expressed through gestures. The section on kinesics “[classified] body movement into five categories: emblems, illustrators, regulators, affect displays, and adaptors” (p. 115). Through this section of the reading, I learned these nonverbal communication cues (from the sender) send messages and information to the receiver about their feelings not expressed verbally. I chose this concept because of its correlation with my position as a conduct officer. Not only have I been trained to respond to and pay acute attention to students’ nonverbal messages when discussing their conduct cases, but the subheading in this section of the chapter provided me with new perspective on my work. After reading this chapter, I decided to put some of it into practice, using the summer to pilot my skills learned from the chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment